When it comes to starting a home business, parents have to make special considerations. They need to be able to work without punching a clock or having to be available at particular hours; otherwise they’ll have to get a babysitter. Parents who want to start a business from home may have special challenges if they don’t want to hire help. But, it’s not impossible. In fact here are ten home business ideas for parents that don’t require clock punching, or answering to anyone but yourself.
1. Ebay Seller – Selling on eBay is a little harder than the other choices in this list, but many people do it successfully, myself included. I have been an ebay seller for many years now. I know many others that do it as a full-time job. If you have access to the right products, you can do it too. Again, this is something you can do on your own time. The only thing that might take a lot of work on your part is packing and shipping.
2. Amazon Seller - Fulfillment by Amazon has started a trend in individuals selling both new and used merchandise through their service. Like ebay, learning how to sell on Amazon can take a little time but there are people who are making six plus figures doing it, and you can too. This is something you can do on your own time, with your children at home.
3. Arts and Craft Seller – If you’re artsy and like creating art, you can do more than just create. You can sell, and you can make money. Sites like Etsy.com, DeviantArt.com, and Art.com make it easy for individuals to upload pictures of their work to sell. You are responsible for shipping it on time, and you’ll give a percentage of sales to the website you list on. You can also start your own website but usually you’ll make sales faster working through an established and trusted venue.
4. Freelance Writer – As a freelance writer there are many different opportunities today based on your skill level. You can write for so-called content mills, individuals looking for writers, as a copywriter writings specific sales copy, or you can write for yourself and publish your own books as PDFs or via Kindle Direct Publishing.
5. Graphic Designer – Designers are needed everywhere; the demand is high. If you’re good with using creative software to make webpage’s, advertisements, banners, book covers (eBook and paper) and more, you can work for many companies at the same time performing these services. While it's deadline based, you can still work at 3 am if you need to.
6. Stock Photographer – Stock photography is used in numerous applications, from websites and blogs to print ads. The demand is quite high for good and unique photographs to use for these reasons. Therefore, most stock photography companies allow independent contractors to upload pictures for sale on their websites. You can also start your own website offering the images for use.
7. Herb Gardner – This work-at-home business takes a little time and work, but it’s healthy, the children can help, and you can make about 60K a year from your back yard if it’s allowed in your area. You can sell at farmers’ markets but you can also sell directly to restaurants if you plan and market right.
8. Online Teacher – If you have a degree in teaching you can teach at online K-12 schools right from home. You can also, if you have at least a master’s degree, teach college courses online. What’s really great is most of the time you can sign on when you want to, from anyplace with an internet connection to do your job, as long as you meet certain minimums.
9. Life Coach – You’ve seen coaches at sports events, but did you know that some people hire “life coaches” to help them with everyday life? Some people need help with parenting skills, whilst others need help getting through a life challenge like divorce. You can become a life coach with no experience. The hardest part is setting up the process, marketing your business, and getting new clients. There are also courses that you can take to help.
10. Lifestyle Blogger – Today, bloggers blog about everything from cooking to camping and all sorts of things. They earn money through advertising, affiliate marketing, and product promotions. You can, too.
Working from home is often a parent’s dream. They can be near their kids, not have to work by someone else’s clock, and still earn enough money to not only pay for needed items but the wanted items as well. What could be better?