Bob Grim NY Yankee Baseball Pitcher



Bob Grim is a name that might not ring a bell for many people, but he was an accomplished baseball pitcher who enjoyed a successful career in the Major Leagues. Born in New York City in 1930, he played in the major leagues from 1954 to 1962, mostly for the New York Yankees. During that time, he had a respectable career, winning the American League Rookie of the Year award in 1954 and helping the Yankees win the World Series in 1956 and 1958. However, what makes Bob Grim truly fascinating is his life after baseball. He became a successful businessman and his legacy lives on in the community he helped to build. In this blog post, we'll explore the life and career of Bob Grim, and why he should be remembered as much more than just a baseball player.

I had the pleasure of meeting Bob in 1996. But first, let me say, several years earlier my brother had married someone from Kansas City, and they now lived in Mississippi. While talking with my brother one day I asked about my sister-in-law's family. He told me that her mom and stepdad still lived in Kansas City. Her stepdad worked for a liquor company and added that he played ball sometimes. He made it sound like Bob played softball on a local team. However, my brother is known for his sense of humor, he loves to joke and can do it in a serious and convincing way. The name Grim never registered with me at that time. Anyway, I never thought about it again until later when this happened….

Fast forward, I was working at a sports card shop in Collins, MS that a business partner and I owned. In walks my brother with Bob Grim, who had come down from Kansas City to visit. My brother said he was going to walk over to the barber shop next door and get a haircut. Bob stayed and started looking in the display cases at the baseball cards. He pointed down to a Mickey Mantle card that we had in the case and said, ‘I remember him taking that photo for that card’ My jaw dropped, as I thought to myself, this guy doesn’t play softball, he is the real deal, Bob Grim. I kept thinking ‘This is the guy that played on the same team with Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford, and the likes’ I’m also thinking, ‘Oh my God, my brother has got me again.’ I was too embarrassed to say anything and never mentioned that I didn’t know him.

Later that day we all went out to dinner and during that evening talked baseball. Bob generously gave me several of his baseball cards and even let me try on his World Series ring. I recall him talking about his arm troubles, he attributed the problem to throwing the slider ball so much, and it was because of his arm troubles that he became an exclusive relief pitcher. He also mentioned how he was excited to head down to Florida before returning home to meet with his hero, Ted Williams. I found out later that the two had a great time together.

It was just a few months later (October 23, 1996) that my brother called to inform me that Bob had passed away after suffering a heart attack while playing with some neighborhood kids. He was 66 years old.

It was only after meeting Bob that I became interested in learning more about the NY Yankees' baseball history. Bob was signed as an amateur free agent by the NY Yankees in 1948 at the young age of 18. He missed the 1952 and 1953 seasons while serving in the military, and upon his return, he joined the Yankees as a pitcher.  Wearing uniform number 55 Bob made his Major League debut on April 18, 1954, and he wore the number 55 during his entire time with the team. He had an impressive rookie year, winning 20 games and only losing 6 making him the first Yankee rookie to do so since 1910.

What a Baseball Player, What a Man.

Thanks for reading,

Tom Boleware

boleware.blogspot.com


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Prepping Tips & Hacks - Be Prepared

7 Tips To Improve Your Odds On Scratch-Off Lottery Tickets

How Much Is My Baseball Card Worth?